SubjectRe: Security Audit
On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 07:32:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > We just tell Alan, and he tells RedHat :)
> >
> > I hope all of the stuff is getting to everyone actually.
> >
> > I'm a bit concerned that while it's certainly great for the Red Hat and Debian
> > distributions to get these security bug fixes, it is very important that they
> > make it back to the original packages, wherever they came from, and that new
> > versions of those packages are released, so that the entire community using the
> > packages receives the benefit.
>
> Every package I've fixed or merged diffs into for Red Hat they have gone
> to the maintainer if there is one. Often there isnt. Metamail has no maintainer
> and the nmh maintainers didnt seem at all interested in the holes in nmh. It
> varies. They _are_ going back however.
>
> I believe the Debian policy is identical on this issue

It is. We always try to pass fixes upstream.

I still agree with Leonard that it would be nice if there was some sort of
distribution-neutral patch repository, where people could put things so
others might use them without having to grovel through RedHat's SRPMS or
Debian's .diff.gz files. It might also facilitate cross-pollenation between
RedHat and Debian as well.

Perhaps this is something that freshmeat could be enhanced to handle...

Mike.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.074 / U:1.232 seconds]