Subjectre: Limits in the kernel
Well you could lower the MAX_TASKS_PER_USER in
To somethine more reasonable like 50 or so.
The default is 256.

I have a patch I made to setup a /proc/secure/maxtasks
Using sysctl to change the MAX_TASKS_PER_USER on the fly.

Hope that helps.

Jaime Fournier
Austin AIX Systems Administration

Is it possible to configure the kernel in the same manner as a
solaris/sunos kernel (/etc/system)? It is very easy for a regular
user to
make a linux box unresponsive and crash eventually.

This simple program will do that:

main ()
I'm sure you all know that, now the question is, how do I prevent
something like that from happening, and is it possible to set some
sort of
limits in the kernel?

Thanks in advance.

Jaime Fournier
Systems Administrator
Austin AIX Support Group

Any opinions expressed in the above message are the opinions of the writer, and not necessarily those of IBM.
Get your free address at