    Subjectre: Limits in the kernel
    Well you could lower the MAX_TASKS_PER_USER in
    /usr/src/linux/include/tasks.h
    To somethine more reasonable like 50 or so.
    The default is 256.

    I have a patch I made to setup a /proc/secure/maxtasks
    Using sysctl to change the MAX_TASKS_PER_USER on the fly.

    Hope that helps.

    Jaime Fournier
    Austin AIX Systems Administration
    jafour1@austin.ibm.com

    Hi,

    Is it possible to configure the kernel in the same manner as a
    solaris/sunos kernel (/etc/system)? It is very easy for a regular
    user to
    make a linux box unresponsive and crash eventually.

    This simple program will do that:

    main ()
    {
    fork();
    main();
    }

    I'm sure you all know that, now the question is, how do I prevent
    something like that from happening, and is it possible to set some
    sort of
    limits in the kernel?

    Thanks in advance.

    ==
    Jaime Fournier
    Systems Administrator
    Austin AIX Support Group
    jafour1@austin.ibm.com

    Any opinions expressed in the above message are the opinions of the writer, and not necessarily those of IBM.