    SubjectRe: Thread implementations...
    On Sat, Jun 20, 1998 at 01:49:50PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:

    > - let the kernel queue an event when the FD becomes ready. So rather than
    > calling poll() with a list of 100s of FDs, we tell the kernel on a per-FD
    > basis "when this is ready for read/write queue an event on this pipe, and
    > could you please hand me back this void * with it? thanks".

    Yow! Shades of VMS! This sounds very much like the VMS Async System
    Trap mechanism that allowed you to perform a queued IO operation using
    a call something like:

    status = sys$qio(
    READ_OPCODE, fd, buffer, sizeof(buffer),
    <lots of other parameters that I've long since forgotten>,
    ast_function, ast_parameter, ...);

    The read would get posted, and when complete the ast_function would
    get called with the ast_parameter in the context of the process that
    posted the QIO. This provided a powerful and easy-to-use method of
    dealing with async IO. It's one of the few VMS features that I wish
    Unix supported.

    -- John Kodis.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:0.164 seconds]