    SubjectRe: How much kernel stack do we need?
    On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:07:19 -0400 (EDT), Mathieu Bouchard
    <boum01@UQAH.UQuebec.CA> wrote:

    >> > You could experiment by initializing the stack such that only a portion
    >> > was used. For example, allocate 4K, allocate kernel stuff, and then set
    >> > the pointers such that only 1K is available for use. That would expose
    >> > the memory hogs quickly. That is a pure debug case, of coruse.
    >> Don't forget about nested ``slow'' interrupts and bottom half handlers.
    >> I think we don't have enough stack to be able to deal with the worst
    >> case.
    >can't this size just be variable? like, auto-extend to 8K when necessary?
    >if swapping issues are a problem, well, something like 1% of RAM or 256k
    >whichever the smallest is (just change my constants that probably aren't
    >very good) could be reserved in case of big problem. this could be tuned
    >through /proc.
    I have seen code that does this on another system. Linkage assist entry
    (roughly 20 instructions on a non-extend path) and linkage assist exit
    (roughly 10 instructions) was needed. That seems pretty excessive to add
    to kernel overhead.

    john alvord

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.038 / U:66.364 seconds]