    SubjectRe: Header files and interfaces
    tytso@mit.edu <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
    > The same arguments generalize to other header files and applications.
    > For example, multiple programs need linux/serial.h --- maintaining n
    > different copies of the manifest constants for the n programs that
    > need to make serial ioctl's simply makes no sense. And again, it
    > doesn't seem to make any sense to copy them to the glibc header files
    > since they are extremely Linux kernel specific, and the interface is
    > defined by the Linux kernel, not by glibc.

    Last time I checked, ioctl was defined in libc. Yeah, it's just a
    lightweight cover for a kernel call, but that's hardly unusual.

    There does need to be a systematic way of getting the defined constants
    for ioctl, but that's different from removing ioctl from libc.

    [And, in principle, libc *could* map constants from one set of values to
    another...]

    --
    Raul