SubjectRe: LVM / Filesystems / High availability
Shawn Leas wrote:

> I think Linux kernel ver 2.3 is going to do just we hope it is going to
> do. On the list of things that I've seen realistically discussed are:
>
> 1) Vast improvement in the MM, such as zone alocation, etc.
> 2) The support for LVM. (I can't tell you how long I've been searching)
> 3) Super high throughput FS's that are journaled for
> stability and speed of recovery.
4) more possible space for additional information.

Right now I'm tryig to figure out if special filesystem will be needed
to store security information, required for C2/B1 level. For example
ACLs.

> My point is this: Lets discuss this more... Bring it to the table more
> often, and get it in the front of the line when 2.3 developement gets
> going. When Merced comes out, you can bet there's gonna be some
> commercial Unix waiting to gobble up that juicy small business market, not
> that we're interested in markets! We want to PROLIFERATE! Then, just
> maybe, I can get a life and quit bitching. X)
Yes, discussion is required. But I think that it'll be good idea for now
to remove it from linux-kernel. I think that separate maillist will be
good. That will let linux-kernel to be more into current problems. This
list is too big to flood it. But I feel that having discussion about
such issues BEFORE 2.3 starts is highly needed.

Also I think that it might be good idea to combine several projects in
one area into one. This can give better result and reduce time for
developing. For example, have section for filesystems, which will cover
all current filesystems being developed, so that together advanced
developers of FS's can come up with something better :)

Vadim

> PS... lets not forget the real reason for this e-mail, it's just that some
> of these new innovations DESERVE ATTENTION! (they're soooo damn kool!)
>
> -Shawn

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.107 / U:0.212 seconds]