SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Very amusing DNS...

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> >Sorry - I wouldn't want IE for Linux. Also, it's not likely to happen -
> >I'd guess maybe a 2% chance of it... If you remember Randy Chapman, he's
> >now working at Microsoft on some of the UNIX things they do (not very
> >many, mostly IE/Unix and FrontPage extensions and the like).. he's already
> >stated they have no intention of this. Also, the IE4/Unix "port" was done
> >using a commercial library package that implements Win32+MFC on top of
> >Solaris - first it's total bloatware, second, I find it unlikely that
>

> Nowadays its hard to find an app thats not, including netscape.

Netscape uses separate X frontend (over Motif) and windows one (over
MFC), even though both "foundations" can qualify as bloatware. Threads
support in their portable runtime and inter-module interface in Mozilla 5
seem to be influenced by Windows multithreading and COM, but they don't
include the code of either.

> >they'd bother to port that to Linux (no money in it for 'em).
>

> No money in porting to Solaris or HP-UX either, little money from their
> Windows one as well as most people get it free. They just want to be the
> standard maker so they can make more money from server software, and OSes,
> etc.

IE for Unix is a political move (it exists, so it's cross-platform) --
no one expects it to actually be used.

> So a Linux port which has a bigger installed base than Solaris or
> HP-UX may make sense to them.

Except that every Linux box, placed instead of Windows one, is a
potential lost sale for NT, Office, Frontpage and IIS, that are their
bread and butter. And, more important, those boxes, if used as servers,
will continue to support standard HTTP, as opposed to their version of
protocol that will be necessary for the market capture. IE domination
helps promoting nonstandard protocol extensions while widespread use of
non-Microsoft servers promote the standard protocol and partially negate
the effect of IE being widespread on the client side. Getting one more
Linux-only box with IE in NT-only environment creates one more potential
non-Microsoft server, and thus doesn't serve IE's purpose well.

--
Alex