SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Very amusing DNS...
Date

----Original Message-----
From: Derrik <dpates@kalifornia.com>
To: A-nthony Barbachan <barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu>
Cc: Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com>; Spirilis
<spirilis@mindmeld.dyn.ml.org>; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thursday, June 18, 1998 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Very amusing DNS...

>On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>
>> This could mean that they have finally started porting IE 4.01 to Linux
as
>> they have done for Solaris and HPUX. I heard that the IE for UNIX
>> programmers were all (or at least mostly) Linux guys, they may have
>> convinced MS to release IE for Linux. Or they might just have been
>> compiling Apache 1.3.0 with frontpage extensions (and the other bundled
>> utilities) for Linux. If it is IE, the addition of MS as an application
>> provider for Linux should be benifitial to us.
>
>Sorry - I wouldn't want IE for Linux. Also, it's not likely to happen -
>I'd guess maybe a 2% chance of it... If you remember Randy Chapman, he's
>now working at Microsoft on some of the UNIX things they do (not very
>many, mostly IE/Unix and FrontPage extensions and the like).. he's already
>stated they have no intention of this. Also, the IE4/Unix "port" was done
>using a commercial library package that implements Win32+MFC on top of
>Solaris - first it's total bloatware, second, I find it unlikely that

Nowadays its hard to find an app thats not, including netscape.

>they'd bother to port that to Linux (no money in it for 'em).

No money in porting to Solaris or HP-UX either, little money from their
Windows one as well as most people get it free. They just want to be the
standard maker so they can make more money from server software, and OSes,
etc. So a Linux port which has a bigger installed base than Solaris or
HP-UX may make sense to them.

>P.S. - I'm not against browsers - I might even buy Opera when the Linux
>port comes out. I just hate IE.
>
>Derrik Pates
>dpates@kalifornia.com
>dpates@acm.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.027 / U:0.232 seconds]