SubjectRe: Journaled FS
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> > The LVM is certainly a powerful tool, and a standard LFS could very
> > easily take advantage of it; however, there are some kinds of
> > functionality I want to play with that require explicit awareness of
> > distinct physical volumes. (Consider software-variable striping and
> > redundancy, for example, or ways of implementing "guaranteed disk
> > bandwidth" in the style of SGI's XFS.)
>
> Understood.
> Is it posible to support resizing on LVM in addition to that?

Wouldn't it be better to code most of that extra functionality
inside the LVM instead? That way other filesystems might take
advantage of it too.

There will probably never be such a thing as a one-size-fits-all
filesystem, so it would be nice to have some of the functionality
in the LVM in order not to have to duplicate it...

Rik.