SubjectRe: Searching for maintainers: dual monitor patches, bdflush

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> > I'm searching for bdflush maintainer: I've created new version of
> > bdflush (1.6.2) based on bdflush-1.5, which adds sleep
> > support. (Bdflush will decide to spin disks down after some period of
> > inactivity. Very usefull on notebooks.) I would like to propagate this
> > into official tree...
>
> I made some updates to bdflush a while ago and sent them off to
> Eric Youngdale but got no reply. FWIW, spindown support does not
> belong in bdflush -- use "hdparm -S" instead.

Hehehe, and what do you think hdparm -S does? Yes, it lets your HD
spin down _IF_ there was no harddisk activity. And guess what bdflush (or
updated) does? Yes, it accesses the harddisk. So you can't spin down
your disk (or maybe you can, but not for a very long time, maximum maybe
30 minutes), unless you have a bdflush/updated that supports spun down
disks ...

Jan Gyselinck
lector@dds.nl
(patches for spindownsupport for updated 1.3 can be found on sunsite ...)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.074 / U:0.208 seconds]