    SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
    >  The point is that there is _NO_ point in not just copying over the header
    > files, and using the copies.

    As a kernel-aware(*) application developer I would not want to have to ship
    every possible version of every kernel header I wanted to use with something
    when I've written my program to optionally take advantage of new kernel
    functionality when it was available. Nor would i want to rely on the user
    having the headers available if an environment has been created where there is
    generally no need to do so. Even if they did, I'd have to guess where the
    headers were.

    * Consider applications which issue certain SCSI commands, for instance, cdda
    readers... Writing for sg isn't portable, but SCSI_IOCTL_PASS_THRU, would you
    believe, is.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:7.420 seconds]