SubjectRe: How/where do we submit patches now?
   Date: 	Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:31:12 -0700
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>

Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 07:33:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl>

It's included in Partition Magic now and will be released under GPL
in 18 months. The fact that Partition Magic's company _paid_ Tytso
to write the program is what made the program existant. I'm pretty
sure that the program wouldn't have been written right now when PM
wouldn't have paid for it...

I find it half-way amusing that people often overlook the equivalent
functionality for ext2fs that Miguel implemented nearly a year ago.

Miguel implemented a first cut at LVM support, which is not equivalent
in functionality to resize2fs.

There is certainly overlap between certain applications in which you
might want to be able to resize an existing parition, and when you might
want to add an additional logical volume; however, I most certainly
wouldn't call it "identical". There are some problems which LVM simply
won't solve (for example, compressing an existing partition to make room
for another partition), which resize2fs will solve handily, and there
are other problems for which LVM is clearly the right answer.

We most certainly haven't ignored the concept of adding LVM
functionality to ext2fs; it's not high on the priority list right now,
since we have some other features (journalling, b-tree, and extent maps)
which will do more good to more people. I am planning on extending the
size of block numbers when adding extent maps to make it easier to add
LVM support in the future; so it'll be easier to do LVM cleanly after
adding some of the other support that I have in mind.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.035 / U:3.420 seconds]