SubjectRe: serial problems (was Re: serial (PPP) stomping on parport?)
From
   Date: 	Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:18:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Derrik <dpates@kalifornia.com>

If I tried to let it autocoonfigure the UART type, new_serial.type ended
up being 0. If the serial driver itself is determining the UART type, then
I guess that's okay, right? All I know for sure is the xmit_fifo_size
value is what's blocking the setting of the serial port parameters. If
anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know. FYI, I'm running
setserial v2.10.

The bug is in the PNP code; it shouldn't be settin the xmit_fifo_size to
be zero. (If you think about it, you'll realize why it's non-sensical;
even a 8250 has an xmit_fifo_size of 1!).

If new_serial.type is ending up being 0 if you ask it to autoconfigure
it, then it means that the UART in your modem card failed the serial
driver's tests, and it didn't consider the uart to be a 16550A (which is
what the original type number of 4 meant).

I don't know enough about the PNP code to understand why it thought the
UART type was 4, but the xmit_fifo_size was 0, but that sounds like the
problem.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.086 / U:0.168 seconds]