    SubjectRe: 2.0.34 - TCP rlogin connection dropped
    [Posted and CC'd]

    Andi Kleen wrote:

    > Michael Marxmeier <mike@msede.com> writes:
    >
    > > Since updating to 2.0.34 i encounter that ssh/rlogin
    > > connections are dropped after some idle time.
    > > I have seen a message (on linux-kernel?) which provided
    > > a workaround but cannot find it anymore.
    > >
    > > Could someone please send me a note how to work around that?
    >
    > I assume your connections are dropped to a VMS system. This is caused
    > by a VMS bug.
    >
    > Workaround: turn off keepalives.
    >
    > In ssh /sshd this a config option - see the manpage.
    >
    > For rlogin there is no option to turn this off - you have to get the
    > source and remove the setsockopt(.., SO_KEEPALIVE, ...) line.

    Hello Andi.

    Thanks for your response but your guess is (at least partially)
    wrong. This is happening with HP-UX systems.

    I'm used to have a couple of dtterm/hpterm windows on our HP-UX
    systems. After uprading to 2.0.34 they are closed after some
    period of inactivity. This is probably related to keep alive handling.

    I remember i saw a message somewhere (which i can't find anymore)
    that this is a side effect of a 2.0.34 TCP change. The quick fix
    was to replace the return value at the end of a tcp_* function.
    However i can't remember the details and this is getting
    annoying ...

    Thanks for your help
    Michael

    --
    Michael Marxmeier Marxmeier Software GmbH
    E-Mail: mike@msede.com Suedstrasse 58