SubjectRe: 2.0.34 - TCP rlogin connection dropped
[Posted and CC'd]

Andi Kleen wrote:
> Michael Marxmeier <> writes:
> > Since updating to 2.0.34 i encounter that ssh/rlogin
> > connections are dropped after some idle time.
> > I have seen a message (on linux-kernel?) which provided
> > a workaround but cannot find it anymore.
> >
> > Could someone please send me a note how to work around that?
> I assume your connections are dropped to a VMS system. This is caused
> by a VMS bug.
> Workaround: turn off keepalives.
> In ssh /sshd this a config option - see the manpage.
> For rlogin there is no option to turn this off - you have to get the
> source and remove the setsockopt(.., SO_KEEPALIVE, ...) line.

Hello Andi.

Thanks for your response but your guess is (at least partially)
wrong. This is happening with HP-UX systems.

I'm used to have a couple of dtterm/hpterm windows on our HP-UX
systems. After uprading to 2.0.34 they are closed after some
period of inactivity. This is probably related to keep alive handling.

I remember i saw a message somewhere (which i can't find anymore)
that this is a side effect of a 2.0.34 TCP change. The quick fix
was to replace the return value at the end of a tcp_* function.
However i can't remember the details and this is getting
annoying ...

Thanks for your help

Michael Marxmeier Marxmeier Software GmbH
E-Mail: Suedstrasse 58
Voice : +49 202 2431440 42119 Wuppertal, Germany
Fax : +49 202 2431420