SubjectRe: Problem compiling sound in 2.1.106
Date
> > compiling 2.1.10[5|6] which I assume is caused by the new option
> > CONFIG_SOUND_OSS. I use a monolithic kernel and was not able to set up
> > my PAS 16 without enabling the above option.
>
> That makes sense. According to a message from Alan Cox, all the sound
> drivers that come with the kernel are considered OSS drivers.

OSS is used for all the drivers in 2.1.106 but the new turtle beach
drivers. This isnt handled nicely by the makefiles I've sent to Linus so
far. 2.1.106ac1 has the 3 drivers by Thomas Sailer (AudioPCI 1370 1371
and S3 Sonic Vibes) added and the makefiles tided, as well as the ability
to build these PCI card drivers non modular.

Its likely most new drivers won't use the OSS core for non MIDI stuff. Its
not really the most efficient approach for newer cards

The other thing about the non OSS stuff btw is that as people adopt the
new top level soundcore interface you should end up able to mix OSS
commercial OSS, ALSA and other sound modules on your system at the same time

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.038 / U:0.624 seconds]