SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
Date
:Wrong. You can't write clean glibc code that
:
:1. Uses anything more advanced than the basic socket API
:2. Configures networking in any way
:3. Interfaces with the smbfs/ncpfs code
:4. Uses the video capture facilities
:5. Uses some of the sound facilities
:
:the list goes on...
:
:Standards API's are a subset of the API's for a real application. If glibc
:meant I could just say 'oh I need to include blah.h' that would be fine,
but
:it doesnt it collides hoplelessly with the kernel includes
:

Quite right. Like I said, anything but hardware related. As you obviously
know, you can't just add this to a standard because, well, it's hardware and
.. hum .. you know what I'm talking about. Writing hardware-specific code
is a trip ;)

To hardware specific issues, I can't see any way out other than mutual
agreement, like a standard sound API that every system agree to use, or,
addressing your points, a "standard video capture API". This may sound
strange, but look at OpenGL.

We should generalize instead of doing the exact opposite. Instead of
writing Linux specific code (which is ok, in this transition period), we
should work on a long-term "standarlization" for accessing hardware.

[]s fabricio

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.027 / U:0.136 seconds]