SubjectRe: Speaking of SysRQ...
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Even VAX/VMS (the minion of security), can be booted into SYSBOOT from
> the console, set SYSUAFALT to 1 and continue. Then anyone can log in
> as SYSTEM (like root) from the console. If there IS an alternate
> password file, you just use N > 1.
>
> There are back-doors on every machine I know about so the person who has
> physical possession can take control. Otherwise, you'd be hard-pressed to
> sell used equipment.

Very well put. I've used back doors to regain access to a piece
of equipment on more than one occasion. As a matter of fact if
anyone has the master password for a Cybernex RB-1260 smart
terminal (and a termcap entry for it), I'd appreciate them
forwarding it along. I've got one wide open on my desktop with
the battery pulled out. When I put it all back together it STILL
has a password I can't get past, and I have the users manual for
the damned thing!! I've tried everything. If I can't get a
password for this thing, I'm going to pull out the 3 EPROM's and
browse them with my parallel port.

> There is even a "general-purpose" password that will get you into
> the ROM-BIOS Setup of most computers. This is so you don't have
> to short out the battery if the password is lost.

AWARD_SW on Award BIOS (All caps)... ;o)

> If you need security, you put the machine in a locked room and
> access it over the network or a serial link. That's what we do
> with all our servers including name-servers, etc.

Good idea.

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.064 / U:0.020 seconds]