SubjectRe: Any SMP people out there with SCSI CD ROMs?
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Keith Owens wrote:
> >
> > CD recorder on ASUS dual P166, pure SCSI. Which version of 105,
> > vanilla, ac1, ac2? What symptoms? I'll take a look tonight.
>
> It will happen with all versions, the ac patches don't touch the SCSI
> subsystem.
>
> The symptoms are a very noticeable and complete hard lockup, it appears.
> Which is extremely easy to believe if something is leaving the
> io_request_lock locked (or tries to get it recursively). That would
> certainly lock the machine completely.
>
> Which is why I asked for somebody who felt comfortable about spinlocks.
> Any help is appreciated, even just reports of how to reliably make this
> happen (for all I know it may be limited to just one specific driver), but
> let's be careful out there..
>
> Linus
>
> -

I had previously considered the occurance of this on my system to be my
own fault, as it is not setup that well. I have an SMP mb, but haven't
gotten around to the second proccesor yet, but I have an SMP kernel. I
have a mixture of SCSI and IDE, with my CD's on IDE running under SCSI
emulation for my CD writer. I have had no problems writing, but when I
read CD audio I run a chance of locking my machine hard as described.

I can't debug the problem, but I hope this information may help.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.060 / U:0.144 seconds]