SubjectRe: bzip2 compression of kernel or initial ramdisk?
On Thu, 28 May 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> In an effort to cram more bits into a boot floppy, I am
> contemplating bzip2 compression for the initial ramdisk or
> kernel. If either of these changes are already available
> somewhere, I would appreciate a pointer, so that I can avoid
> reinventing the wheel.

I seem to recall a discussion on this previously and figguring out that:
1) bzip is too slow
2) the decoder is to big (space saved approxamates space used)
3) the decoder requires to much RAM (the major concern -- 640k limit,
remember <G>) (even on the "small" setting, 2.5 mb is required)

-=- James Mastros
True mastery is knowing enough to bullshit the rest.
-=- Me coming soon (or when I get around to it).