       From: Ulrich Drepper <>
    Date: 26 May 1998 09:25:45 -0700

    But even ngiving the chance that it could change is enough. Why
    not making the right thing in the kernel where all the information
    is available and instead relying on synchronizing with user-level

    Because the solution I propose allows anyone using any kernel existing
    right now to have something which works. Your solution requires a
    kernel upgrade and changes to both glibc and the kernel. A
    distribution creator such as Adam may be trying to implement a
    solution in terms of a 2.0.x kernel.

    I've been watching glibc set the FPU csr to zero on all architectures,
    most of which give the user a zero'd FPU csr when it starts up, for
    every process which ever runs, annulling any optimizations I do to
    defer FPU state setup on the ports I maintain. And it happens for no
    good reason.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:7.652 seconds]