SubjectRe: Upgrading to a test kernel
Hi Michael.

>> In my case, here's the procedure I used to update to the latest of
>> everything...I use the RedHat mirror on SunSite.doc.ic.ac.uk but the
>> following should also work with RedHat's own site...

>> Q> #!/bin/bash
>> Q> mkdir /redhat
>> Q> mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 \
>> Q> 193.63.255.4:/public/Mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/ /redhat
>> Q> cd /redhat/pub/redhat/current/updates/i386
>> Q> for Z in *.i386.rpm ; do
>> Q> X=`echo $Z | sed 's/-[0-9]*\./ /' | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
>> Q> Y=`rpm -q $X 2> /dev/null`
>> Q> if [ "$Y" != '' ]; then
>> Q> if [ $Y.i386.rpm != $Z ]; then
>> Q> echo "Updating $Y.i386.rpm to $Z" >&2
>> Q> rpm -Uvh $Z
>> Q> fi
>> Q> fi
>> Q> done
>> Q> cd /
>> Q> umount /redhat
>> Q> rmdir /redhat

>> The result of the above sequence is that ALL of your currently
>> installed RedHat-supplied RPM's are updated to the latest versions,
>> thus reducing the problems caused by old versions...

> I'm gonna ask a dumb question here, but this script assumes that I
> have NFS support either built-in or as a module, correct?

Yes, it does - but as far as I'm aware, ALL of the kernel binaries
supplied with the various distributions have NFS support compiled in
so that their customers can do an NFS install. Certainly both RedHat
and Slackware include suchlike support. As a result, that shouldn't be
a problem...

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.074 / U:0.748 seconds]