    SubjectRe: Swapping in 2.1.103?
    On Fri, 22 May 1998, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:

    > Another scenario: you are editing in Emacs and stop to think a few
    > minutes. The guy next to you decides to compile the kernel. Should the
    > buffer cache steal your Emacs text/data pages so that it can fill memory
    > with every C file in the kernel? My suggestion wasn't to throw out
    > sequentially accessed files as soon as possible. But going on a strictly
    > LRU algorithm, your Emacs pages would be gone and lots of C file buffers
    > that will never be used again would be in memory. Assuming there isn't
    > room for everything of course.

    The only conclusion can be that there isn't some thing
    like the perfect swapout mechanism.
    A possible solution could be to implement swapin readahead,
    so that the temorarily-unused emacs will be in core 4 or
    8 times as fast... Since swapouts are already clustered,
    there shouldn't be any speed problem there.

    | Linux: - LinuxHQ MM-patches page | Scouting webmaster |
    | - kswapd ask-him & complain-to guy | Vries cubscout leader |
    | | <> |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.019 / U:82.676 seconds]