SubjectRe: modutils maintainer: alias binfmt-0000 binfmt_aout
On Mon, 25 May 1998, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Following Adam Richter's suggestion I found out what arguments are passed
> to modprobe and discovered that it's a binfmt-0000 that needs to be
> aliased in /etc/modules.conf -- it all works fine now in 2.1.104pre1.
>
> Btw, Marcin Dalecki's email address in modutils' source does not seem to
> be valid so, whoever is the current maintainer of modutils -- can you
> please add this alias to depmod/alias.h in the modutils distribution?

Yes it's true I changed jobs recently, as I do quite frequently (Usually
about 1 to 2 years). My current constant contact adress is

dalecki@cs.net.pl

My current job office address is (please whatch us as www.dino-online.de):

dalecki@dino-online.de

If You intend to contact me fast please use the second one.

I'm not the current maintainer of the whole package but I still feel
responsible for the depmod and modprobe programms, which are the crucial
ones for your intent. However I intend to release soon an improved version
of the modutils, since there seems to be nobody responsible for the whole
package. (There is some new Readhat maintainer mentioned there, but he
didn't ever bothered to contact me...)

One thing I personally dislike about the recent modutils-2.1.85 was the
switch to configure for the setup. Why the hell was this done? What is
this additional complexity good for? Do we really intend to use the
modutils on that many different architecures???????!!!!!!

The things which are really urgent to do:

1. Don't use any system("blabla") to call insmod out of modprobe. Merge
insmod in *sourcecode* into modprobe (security!, speed!).

2. Same for rmmod.

3. Recognize if there is really a need for a real kerneld. (Remember: it
got obsoleted recently.)

Marcin