    SubjectRe: To Bogomips or not to Bogomips?
    On Sun, 24 May 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

    > > No. dmesg overflows. It does on my machine pretty fast, it does on
    > > production servers. You may not rely on dmesg.
    > Is anybody planning on fixing the bug in dmesg so it reads the FULL
    > message buffer rather than just the first 4k of it?

    It's not a's life. The message buffer has to be limited, or it
    opens the kernel up to DoS attacks if the buffer can grow without limit
    and consume all memory. It might be nice if the buffer size were made
    tunable so that on big systems, you can see all the bootup messages before
    the buffer fills.

    Jon Lewis <> | Spammers will be winnuked or
    Network Administrator | drawn and quartered...whichever
    Florida Digital Turnpike | is more convenient.
    ______ for PGP public key____

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.017 / U:3.812 seconds]