    SubjectRe: smbfs in 2.1.x
    Date
    Hi Dave,

    David Woodhouse <Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > I was asked earlier this evening about smbfs in recent 2.1 kernels, and my
    > response was basically "RTFM".
    >
    > However, I don't think I was being fair. It seems that nobody's actually
    > _written_ the proverbial FM yet :(
    >
    > Would someone like to rewrite Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt and add the
    > 'latest version required' entry in Documentation/Changes?

    As far as I know Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt is up to date. It
    says that the smbfs utilities needed are part of the samba package (>
    1.9.18). It also documents the switches that can be passed to the
    mount command of smbmount and discusses the problems with Windows 95
    boxes.

    Documentation/Changes does not mention anything about smbfs and that
    can be worked out, as you say.

    > While you're at it, tell me what needs doing, and I'll put together some RPMS
    > if there aren't any already.

    I've put together a Debian package for these smbfs utilities. It's
    called smbfsx since package smbfs has the userland utilities for 2.0.x
    kernels. The package is part of the upcoming Debian 2.0 (Hamm)
    release.

    > I originally left smbfs alone because I wasn't using it at the time, but I
    > think the time has come for it to be tidied up.

    I don't have any problems with smbfs and Windows NT. However, last
    time I checked (about a month or so) smbfs was not working properly
    with Windows 95 boxes. I'll check it out again.

    Bye for now.

    E.-

    --

    Eloy A. Paris