SubjectRe: Upgrading to a test kernel
Hello:

Thanks. Was able to find all of the RPM's you mentioned, except
net-tools. The contrib site had version 1.41. Will this work? When I
upgrade, should I do a rpm -Uvh <package> or rpm -ivh <package>? ie. I
should just upgrade to the newer, or keep both versions installed?

- Mike

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Kelley L. wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Michael J. McGillick wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> >
> > Looking for some help from the Red Hat users on this list (or knowledgable
> > others). I've tried a couple of times before to upgrade my existing RH 5.0
> > system to one of the test kernels, but I usually end up screwing up one
> > thing or another. I have read the documentation, and I've tried
> > to upgrade almost of the packages necessary as listed by the minimum
> > version numbers in the documentation.
> >
> > If anyone is currently running RH 5.0, and has successfully gotten to the
> > point of running a test kernel, I would like to discuss the steps that you
> > took to get to that point. I would like to keep the system as RPM'ized as
> > possible by upgrading packages with RPMs, but I realize that some packages
> > may not be currently available like this. According to my system, here is
> > what I have installed as opposed to what the documentation is saying that
> > I have:
> >
> > Package I Have Required
> > ------- ------ --------
> >
> > -> Kernel modules modutils-2.1.55-4 modutils-2.1.85
>
> Grap all the modutils-*-2.1.85 rpms in the contrib directory, they work
> fine.
>

> > Gnu C gcc-2.7.2.3-8 2.7.2.3
> You're good to go on that.
>
> > Binutils binutils-2.8.1.0.1-1 2.8.1.0.23
>
> contrib has 2.9.1.0.4, I have been using the 2.8.1.0.1-1 without any
> problems, just upgraded tonight.
>

> > -> Linux C Library libc-5.3.12-25 5.4.44
>
> Stayed with the 5.3.12-25, glibc should take care of this anyway.
>

> > Dynamic Linker (ld.so) ld.so-1.9.5-5 1.9.5
> Good to go.
>
> > Linux C++ Library libg++-2.7.2.8-6 2.7.2.8
> Good to go.
>
> > Procps procps-1.2.7-1 1.2.7
> Need to grab the .src rpm and rebuild if you install the newer
> binutils(after you install the newer binutils)
>
> > -> Procinfo procinfo-0.11-1 13
> Grab from the contrib dir.
>
> > -> Mount mount-2.7f-1 2.7l
> contrib again.
>
> > -> Net-tools net-tools-1.33-4 1.45
>
> Last time I looked, the latest in contrib was 1.432, it is OK, mostly a
> cosmetic problem on the display, I believe, functionally OK.(I am almost
> positive)
>
> > -> Loadlin not installed 1.6a
> Not necessary if using LILO.
>
> > Sh-utils sh-utils-1.16-8 1.16
> Good to go.
>
> > Autofs 0.3.14 0.3.11
> Not using, but it is in contrib also.
>
> > -> NFS not installed 0.4.21
> Not using, don't know.
>
> > Bash bash-1.14.7-6 1.14.7
> Good to go.
>
> > -> Ncpfs ncpfs-2.0.11-3 2.2.0
> Don't know about that one. ;( (there is one in contrib)
>
> > -> Pcmcia-cs pcmcia-cs-2.9.12-4 3.0.1
> Not using, don't know. (contrib has it)
>
> > -> PPP ppp-2.3.3-2 2.3.5
> Not using, (as usual contrib has it)
>

> > All of the packages with arrows next to them look like they need to have
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.212 / U:0.076 seconds]