    SubjectRe: 2.0.34p15 bugs? (probably 2.1 too)
    On Fri, 22 May 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

    > I just came across a bit of a clanger. We had a file system mounted
    > "nosuid", so of course users were getting "operation not permitted" trying
    > to run an suid binary. No trouble I thought and did a
    >
    > mount -o remount,suid
    >
    > /proc/mounts showed this change as acknowledged.
    >
    > Alas trying to exec an suid program on the filesystem continued to fail in

    Alot of the mount options just don't get processed on remount. I
    complained about this back when noatime got into the 2.0.x source.

    I recently ran into the same problem with Solar Designer's secure-linux
    patches. I wanted to remount /proc with gid=55 so group proc could see
    most of proc. mount -o remount,gid=55 /proc did not do it...so I ended up
    rebooting after editing /etc/fstab.

    > Also, we _always_ seem to get oopses when after a few days uptime I stop
    > the networking, rmmod 3c59x then insmod and start the networking. Latest
    > single oops available upon request.

    Are you sure you stopped _all_ programs that were using the network? I've
    seen gated do amazingly bad things when I yank the tulip driver out from
    under it. Everything from oopses to eating all virtual memory. I wrote
    it off as pilot error rather than kernel bugs.