SubjectRe: mem=64MB oh yes! mem=128MB oh no! (2.0.34pre16)
Joseph,

You will find that in the recent stable kernels....I would
recommend using a devel kernel such as 2.1.97....I have found it to be the
most reliable in the devel kernels and it will see all of your memory. I
can only say this of course because I don't run a ton of things like many
users, companies, etc do, so thus won't encounter too many probs
regardless what kernel I use. But if you try the devel's, they should
recognize all your memory without having to worry about specifing them at
boot time. I have 80 M in my machine and it recognizes it fine.

Cheers,

Woody
Security Administrator
Localline.com
woody@localline.com

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Lluisma wrote:

> I have a Dual PPro with 128MB of memory, 4.1 GB HDD on an Adaptec 2940 controller.
>
> After installing Red Hat Linux 5.0 last night, I got a copy of the 2.0.34pre16 patch, applied it, uncomment the line SMP=1, compiled a new kernel, made LILO use the new image, and rebooted. Everything went fine but I forgot to specify that I have 128MB of memory.
>
> So I modified my lilo.conf with an append statement. Sad to say when I rebooted my machine, I got a kernel panic. It says it can't mount the root fs. I booted from a floppy, removed the append statement in my lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo. Again, I rebooted my machine, this time I specified mem=128MB in the LILO boot prompt. It encountered the same problem.
>
> I restarted the machine. Didn't specify anything at the boot prompt. Everything went fine but the kernel only detects 64MB of RAM. Am I missing something here? Is there a problem somewhere else?
>
> Joseph Edcel R. Lluisma
> jrl@curricula.net
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.061 / U:0.204 seconds]