SubjectRe: Multiple swap partition uglies (fwd)
Hi Paul.

> Already tried linux-admin, so now I'm hoping someone on this list
> has seen this before.

> sometimes when I'm in Netscape, everything stops while the drive
> goes crazy for about 5 minutes. Then any attempt to scroll in the
> Netscape window gives you another 5 minutes of drive activity,
> during which X is frozen. This looks like the box is thrashing, but
> this isn't quite it.

> There should be memory to spare.

> Reason I'm posting is because I think the reason the box locks is
> related to my swap setup, I'm using 2 swap partitions, like so.

> /dev/hdb1 none swap sw,pri=1
> /dev/hda2 none swap sw,pri=1

> After I do swapoff on one of the partitions, the drive goes crazy
> for about 5 minutes, and after that, the problem has gone away.

> Am I doing something dumb, or is there some contention in the way
> swap is used over multiple partitions?

> This is on 2.0.31, Pentium 100, 32 Meg.

My assumption would be that the 'drive goes crazy' occurs whilst the
kernel moves the used blocks in the partition you've asked to disable
into the other one, probably having to swap used stuff out of memory
as well.

Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for disabling a swap
partition in the first place?

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.184 / U:0.052 seconds]