    SubjectRe: what's this error message?
    On 1 May 1998, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

    > > It seems mostly harmless...and I don't worry about it when I see these
    > > anymore. Occasionally, there really is damage, and e2fsck (1.10) can take
    > > quite a number of minutes to scan/repair a 3gb fs. Last time it happened,
    > > there were very long pauses with no disk activity making me worry the
    > > system might have locked up.
    > >
    > Consider yourself lucky. This basically means that all the metadata e2fsck
    > needs are already read in, and e2fsck is currently gazing at them, trying
    > to find some of those nasty errors for you.
    > If you pull some memory out of the box you probably wouldn't get a quiet
    > phase there, but your e2fsck run would take twice as long, at least.

    The system in question has at bootup, it has quite a bit of
    free memory to use for disk buffers. It is a little disconcerting though
    to see a server sit apparently idle for several minutes while e2fsck
    thinks things over. Perhaps e2fsck could print a "." every X seconds just
    so you know stuff is happening and don't reach for the reset button
    thinking it locked up.

    Jon Lewis <> | for cheap
    Network Administrator | life insurance over the net.
    Florida Digital Turnpike |
    ______ for PGP public key____

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:1.940 seconds]