SubjectRe: what's this error message?
On 1 May 1998, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> > It seems mostly harmless...and I don't worry about it when I see these
> > anymore. Occasionally, there really is damage, and e2fsck (1.10) can take
> > quite a number of minutes to scan/repair a 3gb fs. Last time it happened,
> > there were very long pauses with no disk activity making me worry the
> > system might have locked up.
> >
> Consider yourself lucky. This basically means that all the metadata e2fsck
> needs are already read in, and e2fsck is currently gazing at them, trying
> to find some of those nasty errors for you.
>
> If you pull some memory out of the box you probably wouldn't get a quiet
> phase there, but your e2fsck run would take twice as long, at least.

The system in question has 128mb...so at bootup, it has quite a bit of
free memory to use for disk buffers. It is a little disconcerting though
to see a server sit apparently idle for several minutes while e2fsck
thinks things over. Perhaps e2fsck could print a "." every X seconds just
so you know stuff is happening and don't reach for the reset button
thinking it locked up.