SubjectRe: dynamically changing available memory
Hi there.

>> it would please me to no end to be able to pull out a
>> failing/failed memory module and replace it and the kernel
>> continue on it's merry little way.

> sure and the simm-dimmdaemon with the knowledge of yer chipset,
> will tell ye which rammodule of Bank(0..x) to replace,
> 'cause of sig11 and similar HW/Mem_Errors.

I wouldn't know about that, but I had reason to hot swap a PCMCIA
memory module into a machine replacing a PCMCIA network adapter, and I
can verify that Win95 handled the swap without problem, reporting the
extra memory as available. The machine didn't have Linux installed, so
I can't comment on whether it could handle it, sorry...

Surely if something as crap as Win95 can handle this, Linux can also
do so...

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.081 / U:0.412 seconds]