    SubjectRe: 2.1.102: ipchains: REJECT does only DENY - network gurus please
    [cc'ed to Alexey Kuznetsov, because he is the routing guru]

    On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 04:29:12PM +0200, Steffen Zahn wrote:
    > Andi> What it says - there is no output route for iph->saddr. Can you
    > Andi> ping What is the actual value of saddr/iph->saddr
    > Andi> on this place?
    > Yes, I can ping (client taliesin) from (server zahn).
    > netstat -r gives:
    > Kernel IP routing table
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
    > * U 0 0 0 eth0
    > May 17 16:15:32 zahn vmunix: icmp_send: ip_route_output(&rt, iph->saddr 200A8C0, saddr 14040C2, RT_TOS(tos), 0)
    > This means iph->saddr is, saddr is .
    > was the destination of the original packet that I want
    > to reject here.
    > There is currently no route to the address,
    > only when I am connected to my ISP, that is also the reason why I want to
    > reject that packet using ipchains.

    Why use firewalling at all then? The forwarder will send a DEST_UNREACHable
    when it can't find a route automatically. In extreme cases you could use
    a reject route.

    ip_route_output rejects the packet because it has no route to the source
    address. When ip_route_input can't find a route for an incoming packet
    it redirects the packets to the local interface and creates a temporary
    routing cache entry. This entry has the RTCF_LOCAL flag set. Now icmp.c
    has this check:

    saddr = iph->daddr;
    if (!(rt->rt_flags&RTCF_LOCAL))
    saddr = 0;

    meaning that saddr will contain the not routable address and when
    ip_route_output() sees the martian address it'll return an error and
    no ICMP is send.

    Possible fixes:
    1) Don't do that. With workaround as outlined above [always create routes
    for your firewall rules, and use reject routes for the rest]
    2) Remove the check from icmp.c. This means icmps in reply to packets for
    the local host might carry the wrong source address (of a different interface).
    3) Define a new flag RTCF_BADROUTE that is set by ip_route_input in the
    no_route case and change the icmp.c check to:

    saddr = iph->daddr;
    if ((rt->rt_flags & (RTCF_LOCAL|RTCF_BADROUTE)) != RTCF_LOCAL)
    saddr = 0;

    (3) is probably the best solution, but it is really worth to care
    about this weird case? Alexey, what do you mean?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.024 / U:0.140 seconds]