SubjectRe: kernel profiling in 2.1 ?

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> ok, I forgot to grep the .h, so I missed the x86 profile implementation.
> But for the alpha there is (was) no profiling. I just adapted the x86
> version, and it works.

Ok.

> Now to my problem with the sluggishness of my machine. I realized, that
> when the kernel gets gzipped the mouse pointer under X freezes for as
> long as gzip runs. So I did a gzip < /dev/zero > /dev/null and was really
> surprised, when the whole machine stopped. I couldn't stop the process,
> login via ethernet, nothing. I had to reset it.

Ho humm, must be something wrong with the alpha timer code. Sounds like
"need_resched" never gets set, which would certainly give you the
behaviour you see.

If that is true, then the machine should also hang from a simple

main()
{
for (;;) ;
}
does it?

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.078 / U:0.040 seconds]