    SubjectRe: kernel profiling in 2.1 ?

    On Sun, 17 May 1998, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

    > ok, I forgot to grep the .h, so I missed the x86 profile implementation.
    > But for the alpha there is (was) no profiling. I just adapted the x86
    > version, and it works.

    Ok.

    > Now to my problem with the sluggishness of my machine. I realized, that
    > when the kernel gets gzipped the mouse pointer under X freezes for as
    > long as gzip runs. So I did a gzip < /dev/zero > /dev/null and was really
    > surprised, when the whole machine stopped. I couldn't stop the process,
    > login via ethernet, nothing. I had to reset it.

    Ho humm, must be something wrong with the alpha timer code. Sounds like
    "need_resched" never gets set, which would certainly give you the
    behaviour you see.

    If that is true, then the machine should also hang from a simple

    main()
    {
    for (;;) ;
    }
    does it?

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:1.801 / U:0.768 seconds]