    SubjectRe: How to compile a Pentium II
    Date
    > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    > > Actually, the PII has an external L2 cache running at 2:1 clock
    > > vs. the core; the PPro has an internal L2 cache at 1:1 (faster).
    >
    > So the PII is a marketing con-trick then? I've been told the PPro is far
    > better. <g>

    Not really, but it's a technologically simpler device. Read: a PII
    (Klamath) at the same frequency is slower than a PPro. However, it
    seems Intel aren't as savvy at building SRAM as they are building
    processors (which they are very savvy at), and the 1:1 in-package
    custom cache die of the PPro in the end apparently turned out to be
    clock-limiting and cost inefficient. You may want to note the Klamath
    is a lot cheaper than the PPro (especially the PPro-512K) and is
    available at higher frequencies.

    However, a *major* limitation of the Klamath and the other Slot 1
    processors is the limitation to two processors and 512 MB RAM.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.019 / U:0.076 seconds]