SubjectRe: boot images/logos/splashes (yet another idea)
From
   Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:25:07 +0200 (CEST)
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
Cc: maco@telindus.be, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

On Thu, 14 May 1998 shalon@interlock.dfw.ibm.com wrote:
> From: Marnix Coppens <maco@telindus.be>
>
> As long as we don't use IBM's idea for AIX to show some 3-digit numbers
> on the LEDs to indicate the progress and possible errorcodes.
> "Hello, support ? My RS/6000 got stuck at number 204."
>
> Eh? Why not, at least as an add-on?
> I work on the IBM SP Support Line.
> Those numbers are a *godsend* to us, though I'd like to get boot
> messages like Linux uses as well. The combination would be wonderful.

Yeah, our most popular number is `200'. But without the manual, it's very
difficult to find out that the machine just wants someone to find the key and
turn the lock.

Yeah, there is that. But then, that would be part fo the documentation.

And now the kernel source maintenance problem: how to impose unique numbers to
kernel messages with the least labor?

Hmm. Is this greatly different from ensuring that all devices have
unique major,minor numbers?

Shalon Wood

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.075 / U:1.772 seconds]