    SubjectRe: How to compile a Pentium II
    H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Not really, but it's a technologically simpler device. Read: a PII
    > (Klamath) at the same frequency is slower than a PPro. However, it
    > seems Intel aren't as savvy at building SRAM as they are building
    > processors (which they are very savvy at), and the 1:1 in-package
    > custom cache die of the PPro in the end apparently turned out to be
    > clock-limiting and cost inefficient. You may want to note the Klamath
    > is a lot cheaper than the PPro (especially the PPro-512K) and is
    > available at higher frequencies.
    >
    > However, a *major* limitation of the Klamath and the other Slot 1
    > processors is the limitation to two processors and 512 MB RAM.

    Slot 1 processors still have 36 address lines for 64GB RAM, and
    some of the last 333MHz P-II's as well as all of the 350 and 400
    MHz P-II's have up to 4 GB cacheable (previous P-II's were 512 MB
    cacheable) RAM. I don't know how much RAM the chipsets support,
    though. I looked up the 4 GB cacheable figure the other day because
    I saw somebody order a 400MHz P-II with 1GB RAM and wondered if
    that was going to be a slow system.

    Two processors is still a limit, though. Xeon or whatever it's
    called will be the intended upgrade path for large PPro systems.

    Noah

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.023 / U:62.216 seconds]