SubjectRe: Why from there? A rethink...
Riley Williams writes:

> 1. The full kernel source tarball DOES need to include the kernel
> version number to prevent problems caused by old files that are
> still lying round. This is the point that I was addressing in my
> earlier plea.

The version number is already included! See below...

> Naturally, if somebody upgraded by installing the patches rather than
> by grabbing a new kernel source tree tarball, they would be able to

You ought to grab the bzip2 patch files to save bandwidth.
If enough people do that, maybe the gzip files can be removed.

> I therefore repeat my plea: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use the FULL version
> numbered base directory name in the full source tarballs. It would
> also be appreciated if you could include the relevant symlink from
> ./linux to ./linux-?.?.? to update that as well, but that isn't so
> important...

First draft (not tested) of a solution:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Run this script in /usr/src/ to properly unpack a new Linux kernel.
# Give it the archive name as an argument. Note that it is much better
# to use patches, unless you get more than 15 versions behind.
#
rm -rf linux
BN=`basename $1 .tar.bz2`
bunzip2 -cd $1 | tar xf -
mv linux $BN
ln -s $BN linux

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.027 / U:0.072 seconds]