SubjectRe: Why from there?
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Michael.
>
> >> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start including the kernel version in the
> >> base directory in the tarballs !!! I'd much sooner see a tarball
> >> create the directory "linux-2.1.102" than the directory "linux" !!!
>
> > Why is that a big deal worth shouting about? If a person can't
> > untar a source tree without screwing it up, they need to practice
> > taring anyway - very soon they'll need this skill to rebuild their
> > system :)
>
> In other words, you don't mind dealing with phantom bug reports caused
> by somebody untarring a new distribution on top of an old one, then
> compiling the result and ending up with a mixture of units from the
> old and new kernels which just don't work together?
>
> Personally, I'm of the opinion that Linus and the alpha team probably
> have enough problems dealing with genuine bugs without having to wade
> through these phantom ones as well...I know that I'm most certainly in
> that position...
>
> Best wishes from Riley.

In other words I think that this is a non-argument to a non-problem.

Actually, I don't mind dealing with such problems. People sometimes
post things to this list because they _think_ they need guru level
help. If I know that they don't, and suspect they are likely to
receive silence (gurus being BUSY folks), I step forward - offline.

Phantom problems? They're certainly not phantom to the person
who is experiencing them. Help someone with one of these problems,
and they become able to help themselves - and may help others.

I can't recall a single instance of a GURU bitching a newbie out
for posting to this list. I suspect that they _remember_, and accept
that they have to dig through some rubble to get to the gold.

BTW, your mailer is buggy.. it added a public cc to a private mail.

-Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.049 / U:0.120 seconds]