    SubjectRe: CDROM jukebox filesystem using autofs

    On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, James Mastros <> wrote:
    >Probably, it would be best to make a driver (similar to loop) with a
    >number of minors equal to the number of CDs you will support. Make each
    >CD it's own device, and then the user can mount them normaly.

    Well, the problem with this scheme is that the jukebox I am working on
    has hundreds of CDs so taking into account partitions on CDs would mean
    thousands of minors. This is not reasonable with our current dev_t. It could
    work with devfs or a larger dev_t, I guess. It still seems like representing
    this jukebox as thousands of files in /dev is messy at best.

    >Perhaps you should mount each CD, then make a httpfs (/w userfs, probably)
    >that reads through a squid cache? That way, you can easily (?) steal
    >(umm... leverage) existing cache logic, and, additionaly, make the
    >cd jukebox and the caching code independant of each other.

    Jeez, I hope you're kidding. :)

    >It might be if you remove the code to not swap out data that we can
    >re-read from disk. Also, in your example, you would probably be able to
    >keep the RedHat CD in one drive -- if everybody's upgrading, they probably
    >aren't going to be playing mp3s off of the NFS server. <G>

    For performance reasons, we would probably want to cache the disk even
    if we have a free drive.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.029 / U:14.720 seconds]