    SubjectRe: GRR!! SMP=1 sucks
    On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Elliot Lee wrote:

    > On 9 Apr 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    > > NO!!! It is a Big Problem if an SMP kernel can't boot on a UP
    > > machine, as it means there is no kernel which can run on all machines.

    it can:

    Linux version 2.0.33 (root@twin.uoregon.edu) (gcc version 2.7.2.1) #2 Sat Mar 21 16:44:54 PST 1998
    Booting processor 0 stack 00002000: APIC delivery error (4).
    Error: only one processor found.

    This is a dual ppro 200 one cpu is pulled at the moment because the fan
    died.

    Realisiticly speaking it's unlikely that one kernel could do everything
    anyway given the amount of hardware that we support. On digital unix the
    boot kernel is about 8mb because it has literally everything compiled into
    it.

    > Are there any SMP machines which require an SMP kernel to run? Are they

    No. All smp machines based on commidity intel hardware can boot a
    uniprocessor os.

    > common enough to make SMP the default for? As far as I know, running a UP
    > kernel on an SMP machine will act the same as running a UP kernel on the
    > equivalent UP machine.

    yes.

    > TIA,
    > -- Elliot http://www.redhat.com/
    > Chicken Little was right.

    Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E