SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: Linus for Man of the Century
Ouch. Guess who is the current owner of that channel? That's right.
Your's truly. I've been making a lot of effort in fixing just the
problems you're talking about. I wasn't happy with what I was seeing,
and when the opportunity came, I took it. These sorts of complaints,
once commonplace, are rare now, and are quickly resolved when they
do occur.

If this is complaint is current, *TELL ME*, so that I can fix it.
Who did this? When? Under what circumstances? If given the
opportunity, I'll fix it. If it's not current, try the channel again.
Since I've come to own it, I've made a lot of changes that address
just these issues.

About 3 months ago, I came into ownership of that channel. Since
then, I've done two major shakedowns, and perhaps a dozen smaller
ones. Either your experience occured prior to this, or during my
effort to resolve just these problems. Come back and try us again.

> HUH?
>
> Is this the same linux channel that's been known to tell people off and
> kick them out for asking questions?

That unfortunately, has been known to happen, and still does. (/me
shrugs). They're volunteers. However, those that were flagrantly
makes abuses of this sort are no longer able to do so. In fact, the
majority of these sorts of abuses were from 3 people that I assure
you are no longer present. As soon as they lost the ability to do
that, they didn't even join the channel anymore.

> Where an OP nuked me while I was downloading linux?

Had I heard of this, not only would that op loose his status, but he
would be permanantly banned from the channel. In the last 6 months,
it's become well known that the current regime in Dalnet #linux
treats such activities *very* harsly. We don't even allow people in
the channel that *requests* it be done to them.

> Where users have been told that linux sucks just so people won't come
> back?

I've seen this, and it still happens on occasion. Perhaps you didn't
realize they were joking, as most do. Still, you're right, it's
wrong. I'll have a talk with my ops, and have that curtailed. Perhaps
some don't get the joke, and I'll see to it that this stops.

> It seems to me that that channel has sone more harm to the cause then
> good, now you want to promote it?

Dalnet #Linux, and the Man of the Century effort, are two seperate
unrelated efforts, enjoined only by two details. 1. The idea for MOTC
originated in that channel, and 2. I am involved in both.

> Grow up.
>
> Gerhard

But then who would my single daughter have to play with?

--
Vote Linus Torvalds, father of Linux man of the century!
This is how to get world notice of Linux. Spread the word, spread it far.