SubjectRe: Problems
On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 10:22:21PM -0400, Smilax Rotundifolia wrote:
> Okay, I'm here to whine to all of you.

Good.

> 1) What ever happened to RST cookies? I see SYN cookies now, but the RST
> option was taken out. Were they merged with the SYN cookie option, or just
> discarded?

RST cookies don't work so great and seem to cause problem in some
circumstances. SYN cookies are much more well proven and seem to work
better.

> 2) Why doesn't BSD Process Accounting log to /var/log/messages or anything
> like that? Is there a new version of klogd/syslogd that I need to know
> about before I can use it?

Because its not supposed to.

man accton, acct (2 & 5), lastocmm, etc. for details.

If you don't have these install the acct package or get linux acct-1.3.73 or
the latest gnu acct (6.3?).

> 3) How come when I try to use pppd to dial up into my ISP, I get an error
> message telling me about how /dev/cua0 is deprecated? Can I help it if I
> use a COM port for my modem?

Because using /dev/cua0 is depreciated. Use /dev/ttyS0 instead.

> 4) My toe hurts.

It's raining here and I just forked out big bucks to the vet because my cat
is sick, only its not, its just temperamental.

Life sucks. Deal with it.

> 5) Why does 2.1.93 hate me so? 2.1.92 was fine, but when I get 93, it
> reboots right after saying "Ok, booting the kernel" or whatever. Is it
> because I use PCI? What can I do to fix this so it doesn't whine to me and
> commit suicide?

Becuase 2.1.93 has been possed by satan.

It locks up on booting for me too (440VX Ppro200). I'll look at it when I
get a chance but most likely by then someone else will have fixed this.

-cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.043 / U:0.120 seconds]