    SubjectRe: new kmod.c - debuggers and testers needed
    > Hi everyone,
    > Okay, I just put a new version of kmod.c, along with my other versions of
    > kmod on the web. They can be found at
    > the newest one is kmod.c.v4
    > I rewrote some of the code, greatly simplifying it.
    > Instead of playing around with forking off two children, synchronizing
    > them, and all of that pain, I thought it might be easier to have kmod
    > instead respond to the SIGCHLD's when the fork()ed processes finish
    > working. This makes the code a bit smaller and more readable. The only
    > problem is that I can't program signal stuff in the kernel very well.
    > After looking at the kernel source, I hacked up something that works, but
    > not the way that it's supposed to. If anyone who knows more about the
    > signalling members of the task structure, I'd be grateful.
    > Basically I need the system to work as follows:
    > request_module() gets called
    > it initializes a new module slot
    > it issues a signal (whatever: SIGCHLD or SIGUSR1) to kmod
    > kmod receives the signal, and handles it by checking all module slots for
    > things that need to be done
    > a SIGCHLD from a finished modprobe would also wake up kmod, and have much
    > the same effect.

    Grr, interprocess synchronization where a kernel thread would be better. Why
    not simply clone() a couple of worker threads to do all of this? It would
    greatly simplify things WRT synchronizing and tracking events. Am I just
    sounding like a kernel thread fanatic here, or does anyone else agree? Threads
    are useful in their appropriate context, and kswapd, and kmod would benefit
    from them.

    > Greg Zornetzer -
    > "Light shines brightest in the darkest night"

    Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
    email: Think Blue. /\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:11.952 seconds]