SubjectRe: Wlinux vs. LWin95, looking at the alternative
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 19:16:37 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
> To: Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com>
> Cc: sdw@lig.net, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: Wlinux vs. LWin95, looking at the alternative
>
> > Hi Stephen.
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> >
> > > I agree with this. It's easy to point out that Linux servers run
> > > for months without rebooting, and easy to make the connection that
> > > any 'GPF's are Windows' fault, not Linux's.
> >
> > You either have far more trust in windows users, or far less
> > experience of them, than I have. As far as most Windows users are
> > concerned, a GPF is the fault of the program that was running at the
> > time, even if the error message says otherwise...
>
> Just unreasonably optimistic.... ;-)
>
> > Personally, I'd far sooner see Win95 or Win98 ported to Linux than the
> > other way round - then we'd have something worth boasting about...
>
> Of course, but it's not easy. Win95/98 has a fat, ugly OS interface
> and memory model.
>

> On the other hand, as I mentioned earlier, it might be possible to
> make Linux the more native OS and Win95 the more virtualized OS. If
> ALL of the Win95 devices were virtual devices to Linux, then only
> memory management and processor mode remains to be dealt with. What
> if Linux reserved most of upper memory and fooled Win95 into believing
> that there was less memory (easy due to the reliance on Bios)?
>
> If Win95 didn't step on Linux's memory, then only reliable periodic
> transfer of control from Win95 back to Linux would be needed, along
> with the virtual device drivers, to virtualize Win95.
>
> It would even be possible for Linux to swap Win95 instances into lower
> memory.
>
> > Best wishes from Riley.
>
> sdw
>

> -

Dang, this would make Linux the king!
I know so many people around here who are Windows 95/98 freaks... they laugh at
me for using something that doesn't have "many programs" for it... pulling such
a thing as a Win95/98 emulator would really put something in the computer world
that people would have to look at twice before laughing at!

(__===================================__)
"Technology as nature, science truth
for life..."
"In fortran tongue, the answer, science
truth for life..."
"Any modern man can see That religion
is obsolete..."
"Any modern man can see Revelation
obsolete..."
--10,000 Maniacs

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.073 / U:0.032 seconds]