    Subjectnew kmod.c - debuggers and testers needed
    Hi everyone,

    Okay, I just put a new version of kmod.c, along with my other versions of
    kmod on the web. They can be found at
    http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz/kmod/

    the newest one is kmod.c.v4
    I rewrote some of the code, greatly simplifying it.
    Instead of playing around with forking off two children, synchronizing
    them, and all of that pain, I thought it might be easier to have kmod
    instead respond to the SIGCHLD's when the fork()ed processes finish
    working. This makes the code a bit smaller and more readable. The only
    problem is that I can't program signal stuff in the kernel very well.
    After looking at the kernel source, I hacked up something that works, but
    not the way that it's supposed to. If anyone who knows more about the
    signalling members of the task structure, I'd be grateful.
    Basically I need the system to work as follows:

    request_module() gets called
    it initializes a new module slot
    it issues a signal (whatever: SIGCHLD or SIGUSR1) to kmod

    kmod receives the signal, and handles it by checking all module slots for
    things that need to be done

    a SIGCHLD from a finished modprobe would also wake up kmod, and have much
    the same effect.

    Anyway, get the kmod.c file at the above address, and try it out. I'm
    welcome to suggestions and improvements.

    List of problems solved by this kmod.c
    1. Multiple module loading allows scsi and parport stuff to load properly
    2. request_module will not process anything, and return -1 until the
    thread is started.

    List of problems and help needed with this kmod.c
    1. Making the signal stuff work the way that it should.
    2. Nailing that random memory corruption bug. I looked at kswapd, and it
    does many of the things that kmod does in terms of accessing kernel
    structures, but kmod still seems to cause random memory SNAFUs. mm help
    would be appreciated
    3. This patch won't help the Alpha people - I remember an email saying
    that someone is looking in to implementing fork() properly for the alpha

    Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
    "Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
    http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:0.476 seconds]