SubjectRe: GGI and cli/sti in X
Hi Vagn, Linus.

> NAME
> shazam -- magically rationalise graphics cards
>
> SYNOPSIS
> shazam cardname graphics-program-name [ graphics-program-options ]
>
> DESCRIPTION
> Can only be run by root.
>
> It saves the current graphics card state information
> and forks graphics-progam-name with graphics-program-options.
> When graphics-program-name terminates, for whatever reason,
> shazam restores the graphics card to the same state it
> was in before graphics-program-name started.
>
> EXAMPLE
> shazam GoodCard xserver-GOOD -bpp 16 &
>
> BUGS
> Works well for GoodCard and VeryGoodCard2000.
> Fails miserable on any card that can be set into
> a state such that to leave that state you must
> know what state it is in. For such cards the
> knowledge that it was once in a particular state
> is not useful.

Obvious bugfix: Shazam intercepts all video port accesses and
keeps a record of the current state of the video card at all
times. It therefore has a definate knowledge of the current state
of the video card at all times...

Linus: Am I correct in thinking that the required facilities to do
suchlike are already in the kernel...

> The cards for which shazam is not useful include:
> S3-yada-yada
> ATI-blah-blah
> some others
>
> SEE ALSO
> lart(8).
>
> AUTHOR
> Somebody with the specs, and the skills, and some free time.

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.228 / U:0.052 seconds]