SubjectRe: We're crashing too - 2.0.33 w/ 2.0.34pre2 patches
Date

> I'd like to add my voice to the half a dozen or so people reporting
> strange system crashes with 2.0.33. Our system has died three times in the
> past week since "upgrading" to Redhat 5.0 and kernel 2.0.33. Two times it
> has died giving me the Black Screen of Death, nothing in the logs or on
> the console, no weird processes were running at the time of the crash. The
> other time it did reboot, but still nothing in the logs on or the =
> console.=20
> After the first crash, I applied Alan Cox's 2.0.34pre2 patch and
> recompiled the kernel, but it hasn't seemed to help any. I was initially
> suspecting something in cron was causing the crashes since the first two
> occured at 10:40AM on Monday (either that or my server simply doesn't like
> Monday mornings, which I can totally sympathize with...) but the only
> weekly cron job I have is the makewhatis script, which runs fine.

Yet another data point here. Under 2.0.33, my machine died after
four to eight hours of uptime. Sometimes with a real oops, but at
least twice it was just locked up completely. After upgrading to
2.0.34-pre2, I have had no more problems.

Crashes occurred consistently when there was absolutely _no_ activity
on my box (no cron jobs running, users having been absent for more than
an hour, no non-sleeping processes), except for kflushd/kswapd. The times
I could still do a ps -aux, it seemed that my box crashed when one of
these two was running (I do not remember which one, regrettably). It died,
too.

I had at the time no internet access, so I could not report the oopses.
I suspect they are still somewhere in my backlogs, so if anyone is
interested I could send them.

Hoping this may be useful,
Frodo

--