SubjectRe: Plug & Pray...
Date
Linus Torvalds wrote:

|> However, turning the mat often reveals an unrelated problem, which is that
|> the mat hasn't been washed for the last six months, and has accrued a
|> mayer of sticky material on the side that hasn't been regularly cleaned by
|> the small rodent continually having cleaned up the mat. Sometimes such
|> mouse mats should just be discarded, but often they can be saved even at a
|> very late stage in cruddiness by just putting them in the dishwasher for
|> half an hour.

OK, that's the hard way to go. But what will you be doing while the mat
is in the dishwasher (and are you sure it won't shrink do to the high
temperature of the drying air) ?
The method I use is: use no mats at all. Use clean white paper. You'll
be aware of dirt soon, so you canm exchange the mat for another one
in time. One-sided laser prints will also do, they will even stick to
the table due to the toner dissolving :)
OK, this won't do with optical mice. The pad isn't the problem here,
but the 'velvety' pads on the back side of your mouse. Use your fingernail
or a knife (not too sharp, danger of cutting of your mouse's tail :)
to remove the fatty dirt. Polish with a smooth brush, and you're set
for the next 3 or 4 weeks.
Joysticks are easier to maintain.
But those aren't subject for your local society for cruelty prevention
to animals :-)

Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald = steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de = fax +49-331-288-1266
try to `finger steffen@gfz-potsdam.de` for details