SubjectRe: fbdev & KGI.
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

> I apologise for continuing the GGI thread, but...
>
> Could someone (Geert?) outline the main conceptual and actual differences
> between fbdev and KGI?
Essentially none. KGI and fbdev both provide frame buffers for user-level
apps; the primary difference is kgi uses drivers specific to the video
chipset while fbdev uses a generic driver that will, for example create a
640x480x16color video console on systems that don't have a text mode. The
bad thing is that I don't think that fbdev will know how to talk to every
single video adapter out there without chipset drivers.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam! Visit http://www.cauce.org