    SubjectRe: foreign fs security features (was Re: NCPFS overhaul)
    I'll admit to ignorance on the part of DECUnix.

    My suggestion takes care of all string matching collisions:

    Let's say you have
    -rw-r--r-- 1 hacksaw root 446031 Apr 5 1996 zephyr

    and

    -rw-r--r-- 1 alanc wheel 446031 Apr 5 1996 zephyr

    In the same directory.

    Let's then assume some random guru can see both, say Linus.

    Linus would see:

    -rw-r--r-- 1 hacksaw root 446031 Apr 5 1996 zephyr
    -rw-r--r-- 1 alanc wheel 458991 Apr 7 1996 zephyr

    In a long listing, indicating he had two files that were named the same
    thing but owned by different folks. If he wanted to refer to on of them,
    he might say:

    more zephyr:alanc

    Or something equivalent that doesn't screw up shells. Their real stored
    name would be zephyr, but namespaces would have scope by owner. In fact
    you could make it zephyr::alanc, just for the mnemonic to c++

    Admittedly, this is not an easy change. Filename buffers would have to
    be carefully lengthened, and extra checking done to make sure the name
    didn't grow too long for the filesystem.

    Of course, the algorithm would need to treat the given filename as a
    regular, unqualified filename first, in case someone has named a file
    foo::bar, in which case the FQFN might be foo::bar::baz.

    Have I muddled your head sufficiently?
    --
    Hacksaw